I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

21 April 2013

Beyond the Horizon

(tanka series) 

For Shae

I liked looking out
across the great valley
from your veranda
and beyond, to the mountains
and higher still, into cloud.

That was when
the valley and beyond 
was your province.
You played your didgeridoo
and even the trees listened.

Two eagles
used to wheel and glide
in the vast blue.
Perhaps they are still there
but you and I are elsewhere.

Poetic Asides April Poem A Day Challenge 2013, 20: beyond.

Inspired by nostalgia when viewing a friend's photo of her old home, which I visited often when I too lived in that locality.

3 comments:

  1. Hawks hunt in solitude even when they are within sight of each other. They are also monogamous and when one of a pair dies the other experiences a broken heart. Their time apart then is just a blip on the continuum. After that they hunt again within sight of each other on the other side of the horizon.

    Hugs and Hope
    Stormcat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stormcat for this lovely and informative comment. I have remembered they were actually eagles, so have changed the poem accordingly (and in the case of eagles, 'large' is superfluous so I took that out too). This was one of the few recent poems not referring to my widowhood, so I'll also add a note to that effect - but very much appreciate your words all the same!

      Delete
  2. You established a wonderful sense of place

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.