I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

19 April 2013

I Am Sitting in the Sun

I am sitting in the sun
on our front veranda
just where you liked to sit,
in a chair almost identical
to the one you always used.
(That one, I finally noticed,
had had its day — ironic.)

I have added a small table
between the pot plant and the chair.
Yes, that potplant's still hanging on.
What does it mean when a jade bush,
placed at the door for luck,
lasts frailly for decades
yet fails to thrive?

I am seeing parallels, of course,
with you in your last years,
before you died. I am looking back
at the ways that, even then,
you enjoyed your life.
Eventually you wouldn't sit
too long out here in the sun.

Even our winter sun gets hot,
and the damn chair
had become uncomfortable.
Why did you never say?
I would have changed it for you.
But you seldom complained,
I realise only now. You were amazing!

I am cherishing
the ordinary things of life,
as you did, knowing
these are our blessings, these
are the things that matter:
our fine, unearned delights.
I am sitting in the sun.


Poetic Asides April Poem A Day Challenge 2013, 18: I am ...

1 comment:

  1. These are precious reflections, both of a life lived and lost, and the lessons from such a life.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.