I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

18 November 2013

Sevenling (Connecting the Elements)

Even here in bed,
I never remove the pentacle
from around my neck.

The points of the star
signify earth and air,
fire and water, and spirit. 

The circle is life: we are all bound together.


Well, it's based on a sevenling at least. Each of the first two verses is supposed to connect three things. In my first verse there are three physical objects: bed, pentacle and neck. In the second it's a bit more strained, but I see earth and air as natural opposites (1), also fire and water (2), leaving the stand-alone spirit (3).

Poetic Asides November Poem A Day Chapbook Challenge: day 17, an element poem.
Also submitted for Poets United's Verse First (7 lines to do with work and place).

Also submitted for Poet's United's Verse First (7 lines written in a place where you don't usually write).


10 comments:

  1. I also found myself thinking about the immediate, and letting meaning radiate out from there. I like the description of the pentagon which has the power of safety. That is the best way to be bound together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well composed, Rosemary. I really like the concept of the circle of life & the sevenling form you used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traditionally one entitles it Sevenling, followed by the first four words of the poem in parentheses. But as this one barely scrapes into the traditional form....

      Delete
  3. Rosemary,

    A form of security and a sense of belonging. The very basics of life are so important, aside from all else. A fiting poetic form Rosemary:)

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Feels true. Thanks for sharing, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an introduction to the Sevenling form (for me). I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,. Here is a more detailed description of the form: http://bensonofjohn.co.uk/poetry/formssearch.php?searchbox=Sevenling

      Delete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.