I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

18 May 2014

No One Way

With perfect synchronicity
the local Regent cinema
puts on a Buddhist movie night.
I've been debating Buddhist lore

with my Zen friend, and he with me.
He chides me for my Pagan path
as sad irrationality,
and wonders what I need it for.

He tells me that there is no God.
I tell him God is everywhere;
the movies I've just seen agree.
It's tempting for me to point-score.

But all religions, I can see,
encompass much variety!


For Poetic Asides bref double challenge

Movies: Brilliant Moon: the life of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, and Un Buda: a fictional exploration of Buddhism in the Argentina of the recent past. Only the second specifically suggests what I say in the poem they both do. (Poetic licence to fit the brevity of the form.)

Images: (1) Khyentse. Image from Wikipedia Commons  (2) Un Buda movie poster












4 comments:

  1. I'm a little surprised your Buddhist friend gives you grief...most I have known seem a little more of the "live and let live" variety...interesting that he worries about your Pagan ways...when you could just as easily ask why he needs the Buddha but that would be rude...funny how that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What us interesting to me is that he has an issue with belief in deities, fairies etc, — yet some strands of Buddhism are very magical-thinking (demons and all!) while some Pagans do not take LITERALLY the beliefs he criticises. (Personally I am a pantheist and see the Divine spark of life in everything,) I do often think that if I wasn't Pagan I might be Buddhist, as I like some things about some versions of it very much. And both films were lovely!

      Delete
  2. Amen. Neat to frame this universal exploration in a conversation between friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was an actual conversation, Susan, and then that coincidence of the movies immediately following. Sometimes the Universe gives one the material! :)

      Delete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.