I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

7 October 2014

In the Garden

The aloe vera is hanging on palely, reaching up.
The heads of the snapdragons tremble constantly.
The roses are growing tiny new leaves, dark red.
The cacti are twirling expansively over their pot.
The rosemary is growing tall; will it fall over?

The gota cola shocks me, dessicated and grey.
The mingled vines on the fence have lost their flowers.
The umbrella plant is almost leafless, shrinking.
The geraniums grow wildly, bursting out of their bed.
The weeds I allow in the corner are thick and succulent.

The yard broom leans, bristles up, by the back door.
The rocks I scavenged are edging the full-length window.
The cherub on the low brick wall is smiling peacefully.
The colourful fairy in the herbs has a broken wing.
The eyes of the garden statue are still closed.

A bird I don’t know warbles from the neighbour’s tree.
A miniscule breeze begins to stir the branches, faintly.
The clouds thicken in the small gap of sky between leaves.
I hear the neighbour moving about in his afternoon house.
My black cat lying beside me flicks up stealthy ears.


31 Poems in 31 Days (from Poewar / Writer's Resource Center) Prompt: A list poem 

2 comments:

  1. I love the "stealthy ears"! As our summer is over, I am enjoying yours vicariously through this beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.