I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

2 June 2015

Moon and Winter

Monday, moon day,
and full moon tomorrow.
First day of winter today:
the moon in June
here in this Hemisphere
ushering in the cold,
white cold
like Her white face.

As heat is red,
so cold is white --
but no, where I live
we never see snow
and seldom frost.
Only the sky at dusk
burns white, above the edge
of the dark mountain.

Only the heart grows cold,
and turns indoors.
The world becomes
danger, enemy; shut it out.
Huddle around
what heat you can make.
Close the curtains.
Ignore the moon.

Or come with me
up the slope,
high on the side of the mountain,
there to pause and gaze
into Her face, Her round face,
white or golden.
Bow. Or blow Her a kiss.
Her cold light will warm you.

Monday.
The rest of the world
sees it as work.
Me, I shall play on Monday.
And when night comes,
and tomorrow night,
I shall walk out
into the light of Her face.


Written for Monday WRites #14
Also shared with Tuesday Platform at 'Imaginary garden with real toads'

19 comments:

  1. Thank you Rosemary for remembering to link in to Monday WRites, i see your mood is on of contemplation and gratitude with the coming of another season change. this verse stand out most for me

    Or come with me
    up the slope,
    high on the side of the mountain,
    there to pause and gaze
    into Her face, Her round face,
    white or golden.
    Bow. Or blow Her a kiss.
    Her cold light will warm you.


    we have had our official declaration of Rainy Season here. Have a good week

    much love...


    ther


    ReplyDelete
  2. Full moon tonight..What a beauty it is... clear and white. Your poem describes it perfectly...it brings strange portents though....I like the huddling and closing the curtains....I would like to hibernate for for the entire winter under my fur rug and wake up to Spring. Enjoyed this poem.
    Rallentanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moon calls to us with her beauty. Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monday ........the day to start our week beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mondays are still blue for me...for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felt like a wonderful tribute to the moon :D loved how you played with words here.. exquisite work :D

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the best moon poetry I have read in a long while.. the warmth and the coldness.. but especially the last stanza.. a most excellent poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful approach to differences. I also agree that the only day of bad weather is one spent indoors--to embrace that night time is so lovely--and glad that you can do it! Thanks. k.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the explanatory nature of most of the poem. I LOVE that last stanza!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Her round face,
    white or golden.
    Bow. Or blow Her a kiss.
    Her cold light will warm you.

    I do favour the Strawberry moon of June, since it is my own birth month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how you made this a totally personal view, from start to finish - slightly fay, and other-worldly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could picture the last two lines vividly :) Lovely moon poem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the option you suggest....the alternative to ignoring the moon....it sounds like a far more magical alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It reads like a sing, very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very intimate, especially''

    "Only the sky at dusk
    burns white, above the edge
    of the dark mountain.'

    It reads like a poem to a lover.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always weave it so magically, the effect on the readers becomes a lasting one...Beautifully penned!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.