I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

21 October 2015

Asked to Write on Gravity, I Find Myself Unable


It's Spring in Northern Rivers
and the jacaranda's out.
The sky is wide light blue,
the ocean's warming up.
The boys are in their singlets,
displaying their tattoos.
The girls are in their pretties
with short and floaty skirts.
The breeze is fresh and playful.
I'm eating fish and chips.

The only kind of gravity
I'm conscious of today
is that which holds me to this ground
where I am glad to be.


















The Midweek Motif at Poets United this week is Gravity.

(I'm calling this a 'sonnet variant' because, while it's not one of the recognised sonnet forms, neither is it free verse exactly – and it does have some sonnet features.)

18 comments:

  1. Ha... My response was the same. Lovely poem. I have not written mine. I might have to share in yours because that is exactly what I see and feel too (800 kms south:)

    Rallentanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, it is nice to experience those optimistic days when one's world is greening and the mood is light! Oh, how I wish we were in the opposite season right now. Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fish and chips can make me float that's for sure... What a pleasant springtime scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Au contraire - i think you have just described how it feels to be connected to oneself and the world and the simple pleasures it can offer...on which note fish and chips..yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HaHaha. I love days like that! And I love the bounce in this poem which helps me see the narrator's spirits lift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pleasant scenario :D we should definitely be grateful for gravity that helps hold us to the ground. Beautifully executed :D

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, Rosemary. Such a beautiful scene, an air of lightness and playfulness. All that and fish and chips too. Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. With both feet firmly on the ground and being very sure of oneself. That is how it is and how it should be! Great lines Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both feet on the ground and our heart in the skies - and now I want fish and chips for dinner - the American version since that's all we have here. To be by the ocean and reveling in all that sun and water and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet place to be--feet firmly on the ground, heart open! Off to read your interview--I missed it the other day--

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful are the simple things in life that so many of us take for granted. Your poem expressed this so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rosemary, This sounds like a lovely day to be grounded in and I say enjoy the moments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You describe a serene type of grounding. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes, when there's nothing forthcoming, youve just got to write about where youre at 😀

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm...fish n' chips make my day, too and the scene you paint is so light and airy...love the contrast from the topic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is just lovely! and how I wish it was spring here instead of fall

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful evocation of a peaceful and lazy day, Rosemary. Lovely poem!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.