I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

19 October 2015

Not Falling


I seldom fall any more
into doubt  
only doubt of self  –
but often, still, grief.

Into doubt –
that used to be often.
Trust came slowly.

Only doubt of self,
finally, stopped me. Then
I saw: God is the doer, not me.

But often, stlll, grief
floors me. When
will I know that’s not true either?


Written for the Weekend Mini Challenge, Falling Into Lines, at 'imaginary garden with real toads. 55 words wasn't specified but that's what I did anyway, in the form of a trimeric. 

10 comments:

  1. Ah. A very moving poem--hard to get out of self-doubt but to get away from loss (especially when one has experienced it) harder still. Of course, as your poem makes clear (to me), grief is different from loss--loss a change, and grief the resistance-- really interesting thought provoking and well-spun poem, Rosemary. Thanks for participating. k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes This stirred my soul today! Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The self doubt.. I think the way it connects to grief... to move into unwanted independence.. really poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doubt assails us all, but grief is a more formidable antagonist.Answers are often not forthcoming, I've found.Maybe its the process of questioning that is important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doubt and I are very close. I hope you can either make peace with, or banish grief. Your last stanza is so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grief floors me.

    That's a feeling I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, grief floors us. At my age, it feels like it has taken up residence in my heart. I dont expect it will ever lift off. Your poem resonates, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I would so like not to be floored by grief or doubt--or obstacles on my path. To know that they are of God ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grief. It can be debilitating - I suppose that word "trust" has to be used powerfully here -

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.