I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

6 October 2015

Of Memory and Dream

Today she does not remember dreams. When she was a child, she used to direct them; she remembers that. Serial dreams, she called them (in her mind only; she told no-one). She would start a train of thought as she lay waiting for sleep – always the story of a magical princess (herself). She must outwit dangerous enemies and find a wondrous love. When she fell asleep the story continued, unrolling like a movie. Next night she began again where the movie had stopped.

Now she is old, reflecting on many yesterdays. She has few dreams for the few tomorrows, but she has the memories of those old dreams that did and didn’t come true. Yes there were lovers, yes there were enemies. She remembers there was always adventure. She no longer needs to unroll her possible future in dreams. The movie runs backwards now, in her waking hours – sweet dreams she still enjoys.

Quiet, please,
bright moon through the pane –
the child sleeps.


Composed in response to dVerse's Haibun Monday 2 and a quotation from Kahlil Gibran: 'Yesterday is but today’s memory, and tomorrow is today’s dream'.

26 comments:

  1. What a wonderful haiku.. I like the thought of serial dreams, I have never managed to bring coherence to my dreaming.. these days I would need it though, it seems to be just chaos when I sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Self-directed dreams unrolling like a movie. That seems like a fun way to live. Beautiful haiku!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a beautiful haibun of contentment, peace and hope...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you do that..direct dreams.. I've tried and always fallen asleep or probably can't remember the next morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a wonderful haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read up to learn about the form haibun, so lovely to have this fresh one from you. Signed Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what is said here: http://www.baymoon.com/~ariadne/form/haibun.htm

      Delete
  7. Really delightful read indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the nod to the movies, moving forward, and now running backward ~ I am glad that she is happy with some memories though ~ A lovely haibun, thanks for participating Rosemary ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful! I directed dreams in the same way as a child. The connection of now to that inner child is beautifully imaged here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dreams will make the world go round. It's a question of when to start and to take it from there!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice that many dreams have come true. It is good to be able to reflect on yesterday's dreams, but never too late to have new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, love it very much, directed dreams...sometimes I try too...smiles...~ nice how you balanced the haibun with alert of sleeping baby haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Serial dreams - I bet you still a few. This is a lovely write Rosemary. The haiku is also precious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The haiku touched a chord. What a lovely vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful piece of writing. Thank you.

    The first part of your haibun rang loud bells with me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A child of dreams
    child of vision
    child of ways
    so far beyond
    culture.. religion ways
    prophets live in child's
    lucid dreams.. aLive..

    LiVe agaiN..
    eYes CHiLDreams
    Phoenix True.. flAMe i..:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a WONDERFUL read, my friend. Yes, the reels run backwards now, beautiful memories. I envy the child her ability to orchestrate dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still do that! Direct dreams.... I agree with Sherry - how wonderful to be able to orchestrate dreams and now, memories. The short verse at the end is beyond beautiful. Spencer is Kanzensakura.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The haiku is magnificent, dark, & deep. Isn't it amazing the wisdom that bubbles to the surface as we age? Serial dreams are an intriguing plausibility. I have awakened sometimes & then returned to the dream I was having, but never on the next night. Marvelous take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have directed my dreams as well, especially as a child. This is really lovely.
    "the child sleeps"

    perfect

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this beautiful haibun, Rosemary. "The movie runs backwards now"...genius! I've directed myself to stop the dream before because it was frightening or I had just had enough.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is truly outstanding, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I just love the haiku... And yes, dreams... I had a run-on dream as a child, a nightmare, really, butbitnwas kind of amazing the way it would pick back up each night and continue. Perhaps our imaginations were more open then. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.