I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

18 April 2016

The Gardener and Me: a Conversation













She has moved
from her large acres in the mountains
near the sacred waterfall –

from the sanctuary she made,
a 'botanical garden' of native plants, 
her space for the last 20 years or so

to a small home 
right in town,
on the banks of the river.

'It will take me a year,' she says,
'to learn all the nuances
of land, river, and wind currents

so I can start again.'
She speaks, then, of two deaths 
and a new life beginning.

'He died in my arms. He'd waited, 
he once told me, all his life for me. 
His short life – but his soul was set free.

'I wasn't allowed to cherish his body! 
But, when I was much older, I washed, 
dressed and anointed my mother.'

Her smile is soft; widens at mention
of the baby grand-daughter, her first:
'So quiet, so observant, so calm!'

I pat her shoulder briefly;
cup her face in my palm.
She kisses my cheek.


Written for Poetry to the Third Power at 'imaginary garden with real toads'. Not only does this poem have three-line verses; each verse contains three related items. (So does the title).

Photo: Natural Bridge (aka Natural Arch) Springbrook National Park, Gold Coast, Australia. 
Available for free use under a Creative Commons 2.5 Licence
www.goldcoastinfo.net/photos/v/hinterland/Picture+129.jpg.html 


10 comments:

  1. This is so very tender, Rosemary... the setting, the conversation, the moment... and that last stanza, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, there is such beautiful tenderness in your lines..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three line stanzas ... three Ardors in each ... nine stanzas ... how could a charm not be wound up to knock on heaven's deepest heaven's door? The intimacy here could only be expressed by those who have let the triads resound so deeply in their hearts. Amen, so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The power of three sings so sweetly and softly in each scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gentle moment and poignant conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet. I think it helps when we can care for the ones we love, but it isn't always so orderly....and then they are gone....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This collection of threes is so powerful, Rosemary...beautifully told conversation. The closing is so emotive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really seamless and powerful use of threes here, Rosemary. I love the feel of the natural world and the cosmos which has its own logic, and the over riding thread of love in the colors. So glad you could participate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my <3 she spoke the power of three and they parted <3 love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really so lovely and carefully put together Rosemary-- much enjoyed. K.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.