I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

4 September 2016

Temperatures Rising

I've been reading a novel
of thwarted passion.

It's four years yesterday
my man's been gone.

Today in calm early Spring
my sweet cat savagely chases a lizard.

I’m shown an Internet page of primitive art
painted by a Nigerian with long locks.

Can't look past the man –
his high cheekbones, intense eyes, full lips.


Written for Flash 55 PLUS at 'imaginarygarden with real toads'.

16 comments:

  1. A poem of contrasts as this is one that stands out for me:

    Today in calm early Spring
    my sweet cat savagely chases a lizard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a swirl of stimulation! I want lips as well. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these seemingly mismatched lines. You brilliantly tied them up with a bright bow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So vivid, especially those piercing eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plus I cant believe it has been four years. They went so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love how you went beyond the art to the artist... and the simple scene with you and your feline is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when art takes a few gulps of life and just sighs... This is how this piece sounds and feel to me, like a sigh full of life and yearning. Love the title, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rosemary ~~ I like your poem, with the bits of verses telling of life and events. To me, it says, "Life goes on." The painter's picture of him with dreadlocks reminded me of an event at our home this morning.
    The news was saying that Eric Jeter, a retired player for the New York Yankee baseball team, got married and told of his wife, who is a model for Sports Illustrated. I Googled "Eric Jeter's wife" trying to find ages. I did get some very nice pictures that she had taken when she modeled. You might try that, like seeing the pictures you saw for me.
    I did find, she is 26, he is 42.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice stacks, art and life, love and loss, seasons and chasing days.

    much love...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.