I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

7 December 2016

Stormscare

Or, The Play Of Scars

Now is wild summer.
Storms carve the sky
with sharp light; 
thunderous drumrolls
reverberate.

Small cat is careful, 
places herself underneath 
my big wooden table, 
folds herself smaller still.

Memories carry
two other cats
who crouched, gazing,
in the open doorway,
revelling in storms.


Another piece for dVerse's Quadrille #22. This time the obligatory word 'scar' is hidden – four times.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, you clever girl. This is wonderfully done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from you – I feel highly complimented! I had thought of indicating the word typographically, e.g. in capitals, but it didn't seem to work. On the other hand, I do want to clue in any potential future readers without need for the note. So have now added the alternative (sub-)title.

      Delete
  2. So much here yet again. Not just a "cat poem" Wonderful subtleties of perception, atmosphere, and difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I revel in the storms as well in spite of the damage they cause. Spectacular lately.Saw the news about Mount Warning. Had a few pangs for the rainforest....beautiful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been wild here too just lately, especially at night. The sad news was not altogether surprising.

      Delete
  4. Well written reflection of a person through a cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But these cats are very different from each other. I wonder which you see as the reflection?

      Delete
  5. You are only the second poet I've ever seen do this. Very smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would subtitle it "The Play of Four Hidden Scars" ... or of "Four Secret Scars" to give a slightly bigger hint. I love this format. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the praise! And also for the suggestion. I have been having a good think about it, but I probably won't give a bigger hint because I don't want that aspect to take over the whole poem. Also the scars in the poem are more than just words – the lightning is scarring as well as carving the sky, and there are emotional scars indicated in the other verses – but they are not secret, and not very hidden, even if the word is.

      Delete
  6. Thank you Rosemary ... sharing widelier :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like some cats enjoy watching stormy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah - how wonderful to find the scare, cat needs care in storm

    ReplyDelete
  9. who crouched, gazing,
    in the open doorway,
    revelling in storms.

    They are cute when they wonder at things happening around them

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  10. A story within a story ~ Love your share ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I enjoyed looking for the scar words ~

      Delete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.