I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

19 August 2017

Brain Dysfunctions

Going off alone into other worlds
among dreams and shadows, she seeks
light-bearing clouds, warmth, and the feeling
of feet touching earth squarely, firmly.

Reality is itself too ephemeral
for her, with her several illnesses, her lack
of power and autonomy. But she persists
and gradually makes a way, here and there.

No-one on earth can help, she decides. 
Elsewhere encounters the dark ones who promise
to lend their strength to her will. She permits.

Now she can make things happen, despite
limitations she was born with. Fails to see
she is in their power: not using, being used.


Linked to dVerse Meeting the Bar: Neruda and the free verse sonnet.

10 comments:

  1. Quite chilling & sad, revealing the face of senile, infirm old age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well actually the subject was a young woman. But it could equally apply at any age and in whatever kind of brain dysfunction.

      Delete
  2. Oh this was so very sad. I think that point of giving in was something I have seen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the opening lines...it is a sad situation to be so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad. There are always vampires hovering around the vulnerable. I like the juxtaposition in the first and second stanzas of her seeking clouds with reality being too ephemeral. I think this illustrates perfectly her disconnectedness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chilling, I too thought of old age probably because a relative is having a hard time with losing some independence. But, the situation you talk about is just so scary and tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How observing you are..being in her shoes almost. Beautifully written, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the feeling a courageous person was born.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Villains don't always come twirling their moustaches. Evil men who come clothed in good deeds are well-camouflaged. I heard that in an episode of Star Trek once, I think.

    That's what this poem reminds me of. She thinks she has been empowered when she has been enslaved. What a sad turn. Well crafted.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.