I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

6 August 2017

Light

for Sharon

Learning that light 
folds in on itself
as it simultaneously expands

I think of my friend at five, 
standing in front of a tree
and watching it dissolve

into patterns, into Tree pattern,
then feeling herself as Me pattern
and seeing the landscape fill with light

as all the patterns of all the beings
lit with joy to see her understand –
and I wonder if my experience 

of light swirling and folding, 
condensing and growing, 
irradiating Life,

is anything like her experience 
and the way she has built 
an ecology from seed shapes ...

or is that we 
are separate gods,
or possibly separate ants –

or fragments 
(ourselves
particles of light)?


Linking to Tuesday Platform at 'imaginary garden with real toads'.

16 comments:

  1. Deep thinking in poetry, I like that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your friend's epiphany, as the light changed and she saw herself as part of the patterns....as are we all. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are indeed "the light"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was easily absorbed into the awe of the persona here Rosemary, and i particularly like, the way the wonder dissipated; for it grew so big, it became small and morphed into questioning

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this poem, Rosemary, and the idea behind it too: the patterns and connections of life, how we come together and drift apart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. or is that we
    are separate gods,
    or possibly separate ants –
    or fragments
    (ourselves
    particles of light)?... love that.. have pondered a similar question in my poem...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the questions posed and the way you dance your self into them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is cosmic, Rosemary, and yet so down to earth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so wonderfully deep and meditative, Rosemary!💖

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Paul, I love the closing, and wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This reminded me so much of my childhood and really becoming aware of the natural world with the trees and wild animals and the flowing streams and realising that I was part of that. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too thought of my childhood, standing in front of various places, the stove, the Christmas tree, my grandfather when he wasn't looking, a nice automobile, or a farm animal. Light, that is scary.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too, your poem read well, even when the world was imploding and then exploding. Nice.
      ..

      Delete
  13. Very cosmic and kind of psychedelic, Rosemary, with the tree dissolving into patterns and the landscape filling with light. I like to think of us as particles of light. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this has such depth..The thought of considering the light play that forms us is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes... I really like this thoughtful piece, too. Tree patterns, me patterns! Nice.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.