I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

6 August 2017

My Mother Made Me a Cake for My Party














It was shaped and iced 
like a skirt for a princess, 
around an inserted plaster doll. 
She and my aunty spent hours
on painstaking details.

Another, a simple sponge,
had a section cut from the top
filled with dark green jelly, 
dotted with bought ornaments
(lilies, frogs). Easy! 
That was the one we children loved.


The illustration, included according to Fair Use, is by Erté (Romain de Tirtoff). Today in Flash 55 PLUS! at 'imaginary garden with real toads' we are invited to use one of his works as inspiration. This one, 'Costume of the Louis XV period', immediately threw me back into that childhood memory — though the skirt made of cake was more elaborately decorated.


13 comments:

  1. I would mos def have liked (and still would) like that pool in the center of the cake with the critters all around best too. Delightful look at children and times gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Ah, that was what I used to make for my children!

      Delete
  3. My mom made us angel food cake with whipped cream and crushed pineapple....still one of our favourites............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you make me long for some cake!!❤️ This is deliciously penned!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too had the Barbie doll cake! What would girlhood be without one - these days though I guess it is no longer de rigueur.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes, when I look at birthday cakes for children's parties, I wonder if the parents remember the feast is supposed to be for the children.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We boys remember most of the second helpings that we get when growing up, not so much how the cakes did appear!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a sweet write, pun intended (✿◠‿◠)

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Takes me back to making my kid's cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whatever the cakes design how quickly it did disappear! With father (me) hoping there would be some left after all the others had their slice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, childhood's eyes are too bright for fuss or elegance, but the effort still is worth looking back on and appreciating.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.